Word Bank

  • lithographer- noun

Monday, October 17, 2011

IN MY HOOD!!!

The streets are full of what some would call, “RIFTRAFT.” Rift raft is a term used by the elderly in low-to-middle class neighborhoods to describe 2 or more individuals who stand on a corner all day long. These are what some would call neighborhood norms but to outsiders can appear to be disturbing. At any given time of the day usually between the hours of 8am-12 midnight you can catch the rift raft both male and females on the corners. Usually, they are homeless or it is drug dealers selling to “crack heads.” Crack head is a term used by drug dealers to identify the person(s) who made need a supply of crack. Just by driving through my neighborhood you would probably assume that it’s just a bunch of people hanging out enjoying the sun having a good time but in actuality there is a lot of illegal activities taking place. Not all who hang out on the streets are up to any good for example; at times I hang out on the streets just to enjoy the sun. For the most part no one is going to just hang outside without a scheme to obtain money from the crack heads or the crack heads receiving their daily supply from the drug dealers. I can proudly say that I am not a product of my environment. I am who I am because of the individuals who raised me not because of the “bad” neighborhood I grew up in. I wasn’t given a chocice to pick the environment I wanted to live in and as a result I was able to make the choice of which route I wanted to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment